Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Naps Linked With Higher Risk Of Death


Middle-age and older adults who take daytime naps may be at increased risk of dying, a new study from England suggests.

In the study, people ages 40 to 79 who napped daily, for less than an hour, were 14 percent more likely to die over a 13-year period, compared to those who did not nap. Longer naps were linked with a higher risk: people whose daily naps lasted an hour or more were 32 percent more likely to die over the study period.

The findings held even after the researchers took into account many factors that could affect people's risk of death, such as their age, gender, body mass index (BMI), whether they smoked, how much they exercised, and whether they had certain pre-existing medical conditions (such as diabetes, cancer or asthma).
(Story Continues)

I was surprised at the conclusions of this study. I've taken naps on and off through out my adult life, and I'm still going strong at 70. Currently I take a nap in the early afternoon and it lasts anywhere from one nano second to 15 minutes; the average being 10 min. but who's counting.
Every time I see a dubious study like this, I always think of the old Woody Allen classic, Sleeper. The one where he wakes up after 200 years of suspended animation only to find out that greasy hamburgers, french fries, and milkshakes are health food.
I have a feeling this study will be debunked over time too.

Feel free to post your "napping routine" along with any other comments you have on the subject.



No comments:

Post a Comment